Monday, November 30, 2015

Watching the World Burn From the 16th Floor


If only you could see the world from a missionary's perspective. We only get updates on what is happening in the world once a week, but from what I can see... The Second Coming is on its way. All this stuff happening with ISIS and whatnot... and then you add in the amount of people doing drugs, alcohol, breaking the law of chastity, getting addicted to things they shouldn't, the family being destroyed.... The world is burning. And we are watching it burn from the 16th floor of our apartment building in Incheon, South Korea. I am not exaggerating when I say that it is important, now more than ever before, to be a strong member of God's army. And that doesn't just mean me as a missionary, that means you as members of the church as well.

Okay, now that the intense stuff is over, I will lighten the mood up. ;)

Yesterday I got to accompany the primary kids for the primary program! :) It was SO FUN. Korean kids are the cutest. Maybe I am biased. But they are seriously adorable.

This week was another one of those weeks where I honestly don't remember what happened. My mind is mush. But I can say one thing that I have realized recently. I LOVE KOREAN. I love speaking it. I don't know why it feels so natural to speak Korean, but it does. I am not fluent. I still don't know what people are saying half the time. But I understand and speak enough to hold a conversation. I have been in Korea for about 11 months now, and while I don't think I will ever get fluent on my mission, I finally feel EFFECTIVE. It is the best feeling ever and I am so thankful for the opportunity to speak Korean.

Okay so another random thing... I have to give a shout out to the Nashville Tribute Band. We have been addicted to the album, "Redeemer" this last week. Every time we listen to it we end up in this long conversation about Jesus Christ and how it would be like to live during the time He was here on the earth. Every moment we are home... lunch... dinner... after planning at night... we turn it on. The music does exactly what it should for missionaries, it turns our thoughts to Christ. :) Shout out to Grandma Stucki for sending it to me for my birthday.

That leads me to my next topic. Since I literally cannot remember what we did this week, I just want to bear you my testimony about Christ. Since Christmas is on its way, we have been refocusing our thoughts on Christ and His life on the earth. He died for each and every one of us. He suffered endless pain so that we could be happy on earth, and live with our Father in Heaven again. I have never had such a great appreciation for Christ as I do now. After almost 13 months of wearing the name "Jesus Christ" on my shoulder, every single day, I have learned to appreciate Him so much. Every single day we have to think and act as Christ would. It is SO hard. He was so perfect. And we are so imperfect. But I have felt His love for others, and I have seen His work moving along. Every time I meet with an investigator, my heart swells with love for them. And the amount of love I have for them is not my love alone, but the love of Christ. I didn't know it was possible to love someone so much, to want to give them everything, like I do now. All I want is for each of the people I meet with to have the opportunity to live with God again. And when they reject the opportunity, my heart breaks. I imagine this is just a taste of what Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ feel when His children reject the gospel. But I am so thankful for the opportunity to serve as a missionary and I am so happy to be serving in Korea at this time. :)

I love you all and miss you so much! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We ended up going to a buffet with the sisters that we live with. :) Super fun! Anyway, have a great week!

Love, Sister Maughan

Click here to Reply, Reply to all, or Forward
The view from our window on the 16th floor.

Our Christmas tree!

THANKSGIVING!!!!

Went on exchanges with Sister Johnson this week! She is the other softball player who got scholarships to pretty much everywhere and had a chance to almost play on team USA....pretty cool!

We found Christmas lights! and it's freezing again by the way.....we be bundling up!

No comments:

Post a Comment