Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Happy New Year!

So you may want to know what we do here in Korea to celebrate Christmas. Well, for Koreans Christmas is a date holiday. It is like Valentines Day. If you don't have a date, you don't celebrate. Haha. Some Koreans do celebrate it with their family, but especially those among the younger generation treat is as a date holiday. So on Christmas, there were a LOT of couples out. And Korean couples are so cheesy. It is super funny.

For Christmas as missionaries, our zone met together and caroled in front of one of the big department stores in our area. We sang all sorts of Christmas songs in Korean and English. So many people took people selfies with us. I mean a group of  American missionaries singing Christmas carols in the busy and freezing streets of Korea looks very... well the Koreans would use the word 신기하다. It means interesting. But yeah... It was way fun! :) We gave out a lot of "A Savior is Born" proselyting cards and ended up in a lot of pictures. It was freezing... but it was fun. :)

On Christmas Eve, we had a lot of fun adventures. We made cookies with one of our investigators! :) A week before she had handed me her phone and had told me to look up an American cookie recipe. I didn't know where to look, so I made her download Pinterest. That's where we found an easy snowball cookie recipe. We got most of the ingredients (some were lacking as we are in Korea) and used her small toaster oven to make them (Koreans don't have ovens most of the time).  They ended up being super delicious though! We enjoyed eating cookies together and shared the two church Christmas videos: He is the Gift, and A Savior is Born. She really enjoyed them. It was SO fun and made Christmas Eve feel like Christmas Eve, and not just a normal missionary day. :) Then the night of Christmas Eve, our ward combined with another ward and had a Christmas party. And it was CRAZY. Right before the party began, one of the members ran up to me and asked if I could accompany basically the whole program. The pianist that was planning on coming fell through. So up until the performance part of the night, I was running around rehearsing numbers with different groups and doing my best to help every one that I could. I felt a little bit like I was being yanked around, but I was happy to serve and I love playing the piano, so I had no complaints. :)  I am just thankful that I can understand enough Korean to accompany people now. :)

On Saturday we had quite the lesson with a less active, recent convert, and investigator. Somehow we ended up teaching all of them together, all at the same time. They all came to English class, became friends, and met with us afterwards for more English help and to hear the gospel. So cool! And the even crazier thing was, the recent convert is Chinese, the investigator is Japanese, and the less active is Korean. And we are of course American. Only one of us was speaking our native language (Korean), the rest of use were speaking in Korean, which was our second language. It was super cool! :) Unfortunately we found out that the investigator lives in the Daejon Mission, so we will have to refer her. But it was a super good lesson, and she accepted a soft baptismal commitment and prayed for the first time. :)

Well I can't believe Christmas is over, but I guess it is time to welcome in the new year. I have to admit that I hate January, but I will make the best of it. I don't like the cold but hey, when filled with a testimony it can become a warm fire right? Or so we hope. Haha.

Anyway my New Years resolution is to read the Book of Mormon all the way through again before I finish my mission. I have five months so I have plenty of time. :)

It was SO good skyping with everyone on Christmas Eve. Love and miss you all!

Love, Sister Maughan

The cookies we made! :)

Cookie selfie cuz why not? :) (they were supposed to be snowballs but the lack of powdered sugar made them look not like snowballs and just like brownie balls haha.)

cookies selfie. :)

Christmas morning before the presents were unwrapped. Charlie brown Christmas tree. :)

this was my Christmas lunch. (Kimbab).

LOOK ~ LEXIE, HAILEE AND LYDIA! :)

Sister Missionaries! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment